Saturday, April 13, 2013

Ham and Potato Soup

I. Love. Soup.

It's true. I have a very deep addiction for soup and salad. Oh, and chips and salsa, but that's an entirely different subject. Crazy things to always crave and want; or so, that's what my husband thinks. I think it's perfectly normal. I must admit it has gotten so bad, though, that my husband has made limits and rules to how often or what types of soups I can make when. Once upon a time, we ate nothing but soup for dinner for 2 weeks. True story. Hence my limitations and rules. Don't blame him. It's good to have an abundance of variation-- but varying the type of soup versus eating a completely different meal item is apparently very different. :-)

Last night, even though our warm Texas weather is already beginning, I went against our rule of "no soup when the temperature is above 70 degrees" because I had a ridiculously large amount of ham that I couldn't figure out what else to do with. My husband grew up on a potato farm in Idaho and we have a very large soft spot for potato soup. Usually we have the "go to" recipe that we alway use, but I found something so much better that I have eaten 3 bowls since last night-- sadly, yet another true story. I ate it for brunch.  This recipe is so quick and easy to make and you can vary it with whatever you want-- adding or taking away veggies/meats! I love it!!

Ham and Potato Soup

3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 C diced celery
1/3 C finely chopped onion
3/4 C diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 T chicken bouillon granules
1/2 C carrots, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
5 T butter
5 T flour
2 C milk

Combine all vegetables and ham with water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until thick (1 minute)-- making a rue. Slowly stir in milk so as not to cause any lumps. Continue stirring until thick (4-5 minutes). Add rue to stockpot and heat soup through.

Also, if you have never seen one of these before-- you are missing out. Seriously.

This little beauty was given to us for our wedding from my beautiful grandmother. When I opened it, I thought, "When will I ever use this? She could've spent her money on something a little more useful." And then, as a floundering new wife learning to cook, I gave it a go about a year later and it is now the most used item in my kitchen. It has lasted a good 5 years cutting zucchini, onions, potatoes, carrots, fruits, cucumbers, anything I can think of! It is amazing and everything is perfectly shaped in little squares when I'm done, I don't have to cry over cutting onions, and my mascara stays perfect. We're all happy. Here's a link to get it! HERE
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment