Monday, March 4, 2013

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Since asparagus is on sale I thought I'd try this recipe from myrecipes.com.  I think it was actually in the Cooking Light magazine at one point.  And it was light so we had it with salad and bread and then it was perfect.  Kaden loved it too.
Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
3 c (1/2-in) sliced asparagus (about 1 lb)
2 c fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
3/4 tsp fresh thyme, divided
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp flour (I used wheat and it was just fine)
2 c 1% milk (I used rice milk and thought it was just fine)
dash of ground nutmeg
2 tsp butter
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp grated lemon rind

Combine asparagus, broth, 1/2 tsp thyme, bay leaf, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.  *I would simmer a little longer next time because I think I'd like the asparagus a bit more tender*  Discard bay leaf.  Place asparagus mixture in a blender; process until smooth.

Place flour in pan.  Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.  Add pureed asparagus and ground nutmeg; stir to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 tsp thyme, butter, salt, and lemon rind.  Makes 4 1-cup servings.

Here's the link to the recipe, and I got the picture from the website:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cream-of-asparagus-soup-10000000230698/





post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment