Monday, April 8, 2013

My 2 Favorite Oatmeal Recipes

There are so many variations of oatmeal recipes out there and I'd love to hear some of your own! We have two oatmeal recipes that my family constantly asks for. I'm a huge breakfast person and will likely have my breakfast for the week completely planned and ready to go vs. dinner. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm learning it's just life and who I am. I love to cook breakfast. So, without further ado, I would love for you to share my passion...

Amish Baked Oatmeal

1 1/2 C. oats (I prefer old fashioned rolled oats, but I've done instant before and it turned out)
1/2 C maple syrup
1/2 C milk (I've also done 1/4 milk, 1/4 water)
1/4 C butter (melted)
1 egg
1 tsp bkg powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla (vanilla paste will become your new passion if you allow it into your life. Oh. My. Heaven!)

Mix all together. Pat down in a 9 x13 pan or small cookie sheet if doubling. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with fresh fruit, jam, brown sugar, warm milk, or whatever else you feel like! Serve with warmed milk.

I usually have to double it for my little family of 4 and it gives us some extra.

Pumpkin Oatmeal (adapted from Deceptively Delicious cookbook)

2 c. milk (I usually use dry milk and just mix it all up. Tastes the same!)
Not quite 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. pumpkin puree (I usually use fresh stuff that I've frozen in the freezer-- it seriously is the best, but canned works just fine)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
2 tsp peanut butter (optional)
Dried fruits or nuts (I use pecans... mmmm)

In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and spice. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter if using. Serve warm with milk, fruits or nuts on top. It can get pretty thick, so I usually add milk like a cereal.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment